Monday, March 12, 2012

5 Ways To Save Money On Gas

save money on gas
Via epautos
After relocating from New York City to Los Angeles, I've come to realize just how horrible these high gas prices really are.  I'm probably more ignorant than most when it comes to cars.  I was born and raised in a city where no one drives. But now that I get behind the wheel almost everyday, I did a little research and discovered a few tips that help me save money on gas.

1. Find Discount Deals
 Lots of supermarkets have deals with gas stations. Buy groceries and get rewards at the pump. Find out what deals are offered at you local supermarket.

2. Don't Brake
Drive at a consistent speed.  Avoid quick acceleration and hard braking because apparently that uses more gas (who knew!)  Cruise control will keep you at a constant speed, even when going up and down hills.

3. Check Tire Pressure Monthly
Buy a digital gauge and keep it in your glove box. Refer to the manufacturer's recommended pressure level and inflate tires as needed.  Be sure to check tire pressure when your tires are cold. A good time is early in the morning after your car's been idle overnight.

4. Walk
I love walking!  I'm lucky because I live in a fairly walkable part of Southern California. I can walk to the supermarket, coffee shops, yoga, some restaurants, even to the beach. As a New Yorker, I'm used to walking and it's great exercise. Walking to nearby places will benefit you in more ways than just saving gas money.

5. Park in the Shade
Hot summer sun makes the inside of your car feel like a sauna and zaps fuel from your gas tank.  So find a shady spot and buy a good windshield shade to block sunlight and help keep your fuel from evaporating.

No comments:

Post a Comment